Documentation - Administration
- What is the administration ?
The administration feature allows you to manage your own users and e-mail domain(s). Your credit will handle payments and renewals.
- How to use administration ?
Go to Settings, and then Administration.
- Add a sufficient amount to your credit, depending on the number of users you wish to create and the price of each subscription.
- If you wish addresses on your own domain name: add it in Settings > Messages > E-mail domains. If these addresses are already in use on another server, validate domain ownership, but don't go further before creating the e-mail addresses in Mailfence.
- Create your users, their e-mail addresses and, optionally, their alias(es).
- Create the necessary groups and add users to them.
- Create a user
In the users list, click on Add a user.
- Enter the last name and the first name
- Choose a login
- Enter an e-mail address on one of your domains or on the Mailfence domain.
You can create any e-mail address on one of your domains, except for firstname.lastname@example.org which is managed by Mailfence.
By default, email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org automatically redirect to your own e-mail address. You can create an alias in your account for these. If you wish that one of your users receive the mail sent to support or postmaster, create an alias in their account.
- Choose a password that you will communicate to the user.
- Eventually, choose a subscription. Depending on the chosen subscription, you might need to top-up your credit.
- Users' personal data
When you create a user, you enter only their last and first names. More personal data can be entered such as external e-mail address, cell phone number, post address, birthdate, photo, etc. It is recommended to add an external address (ie: of which Mailfence is not the mail server): it will enable the user to reset their password, receive notifications, etc.
To view or update a user's personal data, select him/her and click on More details next to the name in the right part of the screen.
Users can also update these data themselves.
- Change the subscription
Select the user and click on Change subscription. The change is taken into account immediately, provided your credit is sufficient.
Users may not change their subscription themselves.
- Change the password
Select a user and click on New password. Inform him/her of the new password. Users may change or reset their password themselves.
- Add an alias
Select a user and click on Add alias in the Emails section. You can create as many aliases as the user subscription allows.
- Delete an alias
Select a user, move the pointer to the alias and click on the deletion icon.
- Disable an account
An account can be completely disabled: the user won't be allowed to log in anymore and new incoming e-mails will be refused.
Select the user and click on Disable account.
- Enable an account
A disabled account can be re-enabled by clicking on Enable account.
- Delete an account
You can delete an account only if it is disabled.
Please be aware that this operation cannot be undone.
Select the user and click on Delete account. The remaining value of the subscription is added to your credit.
You did not find an answer to your question? Check our online Support knowledge base.