How to protect your account with 2FA/TOTP
- What is two factor authentication?
When logging in with two factor authentication enabled, one must provide not only the login and password, but also a one-time password (because it changes automatically over time). Think about online banking systems.
This constantly changing password is generated by an app that you install on your smartphone or tablet.
The technical term is Time-based One-Time Password (TOTP). Other websites use it as well.
This feature requires that you first install an app on your smartphone or tablet. This app is not related to Mailfence and can be used to connect to other websites as well. Although it is a Google app, it is secure, because Google has no knowledge of your Mailfence password.
Use one of the following links or search for "Google Authenticator" in your device store.
- iPhone and iPad : https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/google-authenticator/id388497605?mt=8
- Android : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.authenticator2&hl=en
- Windows : https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/secureauth-otp/9nblggh0f59m
- Log in as usual
- Click on Settings in the toolbar.
- Go to Account and select Password.
- In the Two factor authentication, click on Set-up.
- Open the app on your device and scan the QR code. Mailfence appears in the app, along with a 6 digits code. This code changes on a regular basis.
- Enter this 6 digits code in Mailfence.
- How to use it
- Log in as usual with your login and password.
- An intermediary page appears and asks for the 6 digits code displayed in the Google Authenticator app.
- If the code is correct, you are logged in.